Eating fresh fruits and vegetables in season is ideal. It is usually cheaper, and often tastes better. Check out local farm stands and farmers’ markets for the best deals.
During the wintertime when fresh fruits and veggies are not available or cost more, try buying frozen or canned. They offer great nutritional benefits, you can store them for weeks, and often they are less expensive!
· Top off your cereal with raisins, bananas, blueberries, strawberries, or raspberries
· Put lettuce, tomato, or sliced cucumber on a sandwich
· Add frozen vegetables or green peppers and onions to your favorite spaghetti sauce
· Celery, plain or with peanut butter makes a great snack
· Craving sweets? Try topping low-fat vanilla yogurt with canned pineapple slices or any kind of frozen berry